October is Breast Cancer Awareness month.
In Memory of Those We Lost to Breast Cancer
17 photos Launch gallery
1. Syvilla Fort, dancer, choreographer and trailblazer died of breast cancer at age 58. (YouTube)
1 of 17
2. Super model, business icon, author and the epitome of fabulous, Naomi Sims died of breast cancer at age 60. (AP)
2 of 17
3. Jazz singer, songwriter and pianist Nina Simone died of breast cancer in 2003 at age 70. (AP)
3 of 17
4. Hattie McDaniel, the first black actress to win an Oscar died of breast cancer in 1952 at age 57. (Tumblr)
4 of 17
5. Patricia Roberts Harris, first African-American U.S. Cabinet Secretary, died of breast cancer at age 60. (AP)
5 of 17
6. Lead singer of Whild Peach and songwriter Screechy Peach or ‘Peaches’ died of breast cancer in 2007 at age 47.
6 of 17
7. Jazz pianist and singer Shirley Horn died after a long battle with breast cancer. She was 71 years old.
7 of 17
8. Attorney, author, public speaker and activist Elizabeth Edwards died of breast cancer in 2010 at age 61. (AP)
8 of 17
9. Fannie Lou Hamer, politician and anti-segregation activist died of breast cancer at age 59.
9 of 17
10. Singer/Songwriter Minnie Riperton was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 28 and died three years later in 1979.
10 of 17
11. Singer and songwriter Syreeta Wright died in 2004 of side effects from radiation treatments for breast cancer. She was 58.
11 of 17
12. Singer Doris Coley of the Shirelles died of breast cancer in 2000 at age 58.
12 of 17
13. Actress Roxie Roker died of breast cancer in 1995 at the age of 66. Lenny singing ‘Thinking of You’ in memory of his mom.
13 of 17
14. Film actress and cast member of SNL Danitra Vance died of breast cancer in 1994 at age 40.
14 of 17
15. Shirley Graham Du Bois an award winning author, playwright, composer, and activist for African Americans died of breast cancer on March 27, 1977 at the age of 80 in China. She was married to the civil rights activist W. E. B. Du Bois
15 of 17
16. June Jordan was a Caribbean American poet and activist especially known for her contributions to the feminist theory. She died of breast cancer at the age of 65.
16 of 17
17. Margaret Walker was an American poet and writer known for her award-winning poem “For My People” and book “Jubilee”. She died of breast cancer in 1998 at the age of 83.
17 of 17