Mike Hager, a Detroit business owner and former Iraq war contractor, voiced severe devastation after finding out that his 75-year-old mother died within 24 hours of being denied entry into America, WJBK-TV reports.
“She would have been sitting right here next to me. She’s gone because of him,” Hager said in reference to President Donald Trump.
On Friday, he departed Iraq with family to help transport his mother, Naimma, to Detroit for treatment. According to the outlet, Naimma lived in the States since 1995 and held a U.S. green card. The family was enjoying a trip home when Naimma suddenly fell ill. Hager said he thought nothing of returning home since they all had green cards and had lived in America for over 20 years.
Little did he know, legislation efforts in America would permanently derail his life. On the same day, President Trump signed a 90 day executive order barring entry for citizens of several Muslim-majority countries, among them Iraq.
Hager was the only person allowed through the gates, while the rest of his family was left behind, including his sickly mother.
“I was just in shock,” he said recalling the scene where he was forced to leave his mother in the airport. “I had to put my mom back…on the wheelchair and call the ambulance and she was very upset. She knew right there if we send her back to the hospital she’s going to pass away – she’s not going to make it.”
Hager sought refuge in the United States during the Gulf War and ultimately became a U.S. citizen in 1995, according to the outlet.
He says he deeply loves America and risked his life for his country, taking a bullet in the back during his service in the military. But for all of his efforts, Hager is also concerned about his status due to the ban:
“If I’m not wanted overseas in Iraq and I’m not wanted here, then where do I go? What am I supposed to do with my family?”
ARTICLE FROM: NewsOne.com
Article Courtesy of NewsOne
First Picture Courtesy of Genaro Molina, Getty Images, and NewsOne
Tweet and Second Picture Courtesy of Twitter and NewsOne
Maxwell & Mary J. Blige Perform King & Queen of Hearts Tour [Photos]
1. Maxwell & Mary J. Blige Performs King & Queen of Hearts TourSource:Getty 1 of 34
2. Maxwell & Mary J. Blige Performs King & Queen of Hearts TourSource:Getty 2 of 34
3. Maxwell & Mary J. Blige Performs King & Queen of Hearts TourSource:Getty 3 of 34
4. Maxwell & Mary J. Blige Performs King & Queen of Hearts TourSource:Getty 4 of 34
5. Maxwell & Mary J. Blige Performs King & Queen of Hearts TourSource:Getty 5 of 34
6. Maxwell & Mary J. Blige Performs King & Queen of Hearts TourSource:Getty 6 of 34
7. Maxwell & Mary J. Blige Performs King & Queen of Hearts TourSource:Getty 7 of 34
8. Maxwell & Mary J. Blige Performs King & Queen of Hearts TourSource:Getty 8 of 34
9. Maxwell & Mary J. Blige Performs King & Queen of Hearts TourSource:Getty 9 of 34
10. Maxwell & Mary J. Blige Performs King & Queen of Hearts TourSource:Getty 10 of 34
11. 615054804Source:Getty 11 of 34
12. 14793923910861Source:Getty 12 of 34
13. 14793923954045Source:Getty 13 of 34
14. 14782851646054Source:Getty 14 of 34
15. 14793923985999Source:Getty 15 of 34
16. 1479392405235Source:Getty 16 of 34
17. 14793924107899Source:Getty 17 of 34
18. 1479392453568Source:Getty 18 of 34
19. 14793924539387Source:Getty 19 of 34
20. 14793924566295Source:Getty 20 of 34
21. 14793924599534Source:Getty 21 of 34
22. 619217332Source:Getty 22 of 34
23. 14793924633618Source:Getty 23 of 34
24. 14793924657306Source:Getty 24 of 34
25. 619217240Source:Getty 25 of 34
26. 14793924755749Source:Getty 26 of 34
27. 14793924763919Source:Getty 27 of 34
28. 619217216Source:Getty 28 of 34
29. 14793924836638Source:Getty 29 of 34
30. 14793924975342Source:Getty 30 of 34
31. 14793925054612Source:Getty 31 of 34
32. 14793925078206Source:Getty 32 of 34
33. 14782852594006Source:Getty 33 of 34
34. 14793925147992Source:Getty 34 of 34
Elderly Iraqi Woman Bound For Detroit Dies One Day After Entry Denial Into The U.S. was originally published on wzakcleveland.com