Very few schools in America kick off their first day with an appearance by a Grammy-winning music mogul. However, Capital Preparatory Harlem Charter School isn’t just any school. It’s the one that Diddy built.
Originally announced back in March, the new school is the product of five years of planning by Sean “Diddy” Combs as he embarked on the idea of creating a new school in the borough that raised him. And on Monday, the dream was officially realized as excited students packed in the building for what looked like the most anticipated first day of school in public school history.
The students’ joy was shared by the Ciroc businessman, who was there to greet them along with the usual throng of news cameras that come with him. “I’m excited to be here,” Combs said. “This is the start of something important.”
The school opens with 160 sixth and seventh graders and will add on a class each year before graduating its first group of students in 2023.
1. Epic Weekend in the books!! #RootsPicnic #Philly
1 of 15
2. Great performance from @willowsmith who during her set brought out her dad and @djjazzyjeff who performed "Summertime" #rootspicnic
2 of 15
3. The Queen of the Smith tribe
3 of 15
4. the legendary @blackthought he is currently doing all those promos for the NBA Finals which are pretty cool.
4 of 15
5. Little Willow Smith putting it down on stage with Will Smith. #lit #summertime #rootspicnic2016 #rootspicnic #epicness
5 of 15
6. The dog @dmx has always been a man of the people
6 of 15
7. #rootspicnic flow
7 of 15
8. Legendary @djdnice who helped put together Usher's show with the Roots #rootspicnic
8 of 15
9. But why is the man at the end trying to jump on 😭😂😭😂😭😭😭 #rootspicnic #omeeka
9 of 15
10. @yazzthegreatest was on deck this weekend at the #RootsPicnic ... Salute to you Yazz for all your success thus far... #RootsPicnic2016 #Philly #ShayStar #DreamChasers #Empire #HakeemLyon >>> pic by @damel10