Last Saturday, family and friends gathered at the New Hope Ministries church to celebrate the life of Vanessa Collier who passed away from unconfirmed circumstances. (It is reported, she killed herself while other reports claim she was cleaning her gun when it went off.)
Collier’s funeral was underway when Pastor Ray Chavez abruptly stopped the service after noticing pictures of Collier with her girlfriend, Christina and their two daughters were displayed.
Chavez reportedly said there could be no pictures of Collier with her girlfriend and no indication that Vanessa was gay at the service. Mourners were flabbergasted at the Pastor’s behavior and moved the photos, flowers and eventually Collier’s body to a mortuary across the street. According to friends in attendance, the church had plenty of time to stop the funeral before it started if they didn’t agree with her lifestyle.
Supporters protested outside of New Hope Ministries on Tuesday demanding an apology from the church. The family still has not been reimbursed for having to move their services at the last minute. The New Hope Ministries hasn’t released a statement on the issue.
We’ve been hearing a few stories about this lately. One pastor in Houston refused to bury a woman because she didn’t pay her tithes. You must have an old ice box for a heart to literally stop a person’s funeral because you don’t agree with the way they lived their life. That couldn’t possibly be the way any God would want someone to behave.
What do you guys think? Sound off in the comments.
Out Of The Closet: 24 Gay Black Celebrities
1. 14249758202245Source:Getty 1 of 24
2. Djuan TrentSource:Joey Foley/Getty Images 2 of 24
3. Robin RobertsSource:Getty 3 of 24
4. Michael SamSource:Getty 4 of 24
5. Mister CeeSource:Getty 5 of 24
6. Andre Leon TalleySource:Getty 6 of 24
7. RuPaulSource:Getty 7 of 24
8. Angela DavisSource:Getty 8 of 24
9. Wanda SykesSource:Getty 9 of 24
10. Nicki MinajSource:Getty 10 of 24
11. Frank OceanSource:Getty 11 of 24
12. Jason CollinsSource:Getty 12 of 24
13. Lee DanielsSource:Getty 13 of 24
14. Azealia BanksSource:Getty 14 of 24
15. Meshell NdegeocelloSource:Getty 15 of 24
16. Le1fSource:Getty 16 of 24
17. Sheryl SwoopesSource:Getty 17 of 24
18. Johnny mathisSource:Getty 18 of 24
19. Don LemonSource:Getty 19 of 24
20. E. Denise SimmonsSource:Getty 20 of 24
21. Emil WilbekinSource:Getty 21 of 24
22. Tracy ChapmanSource:Getty 22 of 24
23. Alice WalkerSource:Getty 23 of 24
24. Rebecca WalkerSource:Getty 24 of 24
Church Stops Woman’s Funeral Because She Was Gay & We’re Questioning Humanity was originally published on hellobeautiful.com