She may only be 26 years old, but Rihanna has reached icon status…again!
Last year the American Music Awards honored her with the first-ever Icon Award and now the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) has announced that she’ll receive their Icon Of The Year award for 2014. The fashion honor is given to recipients who have made a tremendous impact on pop culture around the world and has been awarded to Lady Gaga, Iman, Kate Moss, and Nicole Kidman in the past.
Between Rihanna’s endless array of hairstyles, sartorial risk-taking style, high-fashion campaigns (she’s currently the face of Balmain’s Spring 2014 campaign), River Island collections, perfumes, M.A.C. Viva Glam collections and countless fashion magazine covers the singer has been inspiring the world to be that much more fashionable for over a decade.
Rih Rhi recently told Vogue that her style continues to be inspired by menswear, an obsession that started at an early age. “I love baggy things. I wear men’s clothes, men’s shoes, oxfords, creepers,” she said, adding: “When I was thirteen or fourteen, I didn’t want to wear what my mom wanted me to wear. I was very much a boy in my style, my demeanor. All my friends were guys. I loved things that boys did. I loved being easy with my clothes. I loved wearing hats and scarves and snapbacks on my head. It was my way of rebelling. I wanted to dress like my brother. After a while, it was just easier for Mom to dress us both the same. We wore the same jeans, the same T-shirts.”
She’ll scoop up her latest statuette on June 2 at the annual CFDA Fashion Awards. We wonder what she’ll wear!?
9 Style Tips From Rihanna
1. 1. Stun In Sheer Panelled Red1 of 9
2. 2. Edge It Up With Leather And A BodyconSource:Getty 2 of 9
3. 3. A Grey Jacket Adds TextureSource:Getty 3 of 9
4. 4. Lighten Up In Ethereal WhiteSource:Getty 4 of 9
5. 5. A 'Lil Spice Is Nice In A Red Mini5 of 9
6. 6. Opt For Retro Wth A Crop Top And Pencil Skirt6 of 9
7. 7. ...Keep Up The Theme In A SweatshirtSource:Getty 7 of 9
8. 8. Go Sleek With A Silk ComboSource:Getty 8 of 9
9. 9. Balance It Out In Shorts And An Oversized CoatSource:Getty 9 of 9
Rihanna To Be Honored With CFDA Fashion Icon of The Year Award was originally published on hellobeautiful.com