The Horizon Science Academy in Ohio is facing heat from the natural hair community after a copy of a letter to parents that included a ban on afro puffs and ‘small twisted braids’ was posted online.
The letter details changes to the dress code for the upcoming school year and includes the line:
Afro-puffs and small twisted braids, with our without rubberbands, are NOT permitted.
Below is the letter that was sent out to the parents:
It’s unclear what the administration means by small twisted braids, but if they are referring to box braids they are banning a protective style that black girls have worn for generations. Afro-puffs are essentially the black version of the ponytail (when pulled back our hair puffs out instead of laying down), and yet the rules do not have a ban on ponytails for students of other ethnicities.
To read more about this story Click Here
Do you think the school is discriminating against black students? Take Our Poll.
Like The Wiz on Facebook to stay updated with the latest breaking, entertainment news and original interviews!
- Salty! Drake Denied access to Heat Locker room!
- MIA HEAT “Aint Got No Worries”! WORLD CHAMPIONS BACK TO BACK!
- Welcome to the world “North West”
- #PAULASBESTDISHES Go Crazy On Twitter! [PHOTOS]
- (EXCLUSIVE)Sugarhill Gang Inside The 12 O’Clock Flash Back! “The Shocking Truth About Greed And Betrayal In The Recording Bizz!.”
- Sean Combs’ Revolt TV Finalizes National Carriage Deal With Time Warner Cable
- Juicy J Featuring The Weeknd – One Of Those Nights