Orkin has released its annual list of cities with the worst infestation of bed bugs. And unfortunately, for the 5th consecutive year, Columbus is one of the worst cities in the country for bed bugs!
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
Not only is Columbus rounding off the top 5 of the list but four other Ohio cities were also included on the list. Cincinnati is 8th on the list, Cleveland is number 11, Dayton and Toledo round off the list at 49 and 50 respectively.
- Washington, D.C.
- Los Angeles
- Columbus, OH
- New York
- Cleveland, OH
- San Francisco
- Raleigh, NC
- Champaign, IL
- Grand Rapids
- Richmond, VA
- Greenville, SC
- Knoxville, TN
- Buffalo, NY
- Greensboro, NC
- Charleston, WV
- St. Louis
- Davenport, IA
- Cedar Rapids, IA
- Myrtle Beach
- San Diego
- Fort Wayne, IN
- Las Vegas
- Hartford, CT
- Dayton, OH
- Toledo, OH
The list is derived from data gathered from where Orkin performed the most bed bug treatments between December 1, 2018 – November 30, 2019. The ranking includes both residential and commercial treatments.
“While bed bugs have not been found to transmit any diseases to humans, they can be an elusive threat to households,” said Chelle Hartzer, an Orkin entomologist. “They are excellent hitchhikers, and they reproduce quickly which make it nearly impossible to prevent bed bugs. Sanitation has nothing to do with where you’ll find them.”
“The key to preventing a bed bug infestation is early detection,” Hartzer said. “When one or more bed bugs enter a space, we call it an introduction. During an introduction, bed bugs probably haven’t started reproducing yet, but they could soon. Vigilance is key to stopping bed bugs before infestation levels.”
Tips To Prevent Bed Bugs:
- Inspect your home for signs of bed bugs regularly. Check the places where bed bugs hide during the day, including mattress tags and seams, and behind baseboards, headboards, electrical outlets and picture frames.
- Decrease clutter around your home to make it easier to spot bed bugs on your own or during professional inspections.
- Inspect your residence regularly—when you move-in, after a trip, when a service worker visits or after guests stay overnight.
- Examine all secondhand furniture before bringing it inside your home. This is a common way for bed bugs to be introduced into homes.
- Wash and dry your bed linens often, using the hottest temperature allowed for the fabric.
- Mask Mandate Officially In Effect For 7 Ohio Counties, Including Franklin!
- Fired! Hair Stylist Accused Of Not Cutting ‘Black People’s Hair’ Loses Her Job
- Billy Sorrells File: Would You Snitch On Your Girlfriend for $25,000?! [VIDEO]
- Disney World to Reopen Despite Florida Coronavirus Surge
- Tiffany Haddish Does The Big Chop + Teyana Taylor Helps Black-Owned Nail Designer Sell Out [VIDEO]
- Kyrie Irving Produces TV Special For Breonna Taylor + COVID-19 Resurgence Puts Travel In Peril [VIDEO]
- Great Places for a Date During the Pandemic!
- Will It Work? CAREN Act Is Introduced As Viral ‘Karen’ Videos Surge
- Kanye West Explains Why He’s Running For President, Being Off Trump & Wants The Wakanda Model For The White House
- Ohio Governor Introduces Bill to Reduce Gun Violence
Several Ohio Cities Rank Top For The Worst Cities For Bed Bugs! was originally published on mycolumbuspower.com