In President Trump’s absence, Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, who spins the president’s lies and misbehavior to the media, took punishing comedic ridicule Saturday night.
SEE ALSO: The 8 Funniest Comebacks By Obama
Comedian Michelle Wolf delivered a brutal roasting of the president, his administration, and particularly Sanders at the 2018 White House Correspondents’ Association dinner, as the press secretary sat awkwardly near the podium.
For the second consecutive year, Trump, who’s at war with the media (except conservative Fox News), did not attend the prestigious annual dinner for White House correspondents. Previous presidents regularly attended the event, where a comedian traditionally throws sharp jabs at the commander-in-chief.
Wolf began her set up by saying she really likes Huckabee, even though she lies to reporters on the president’s behalf. Things got more uncomfortable after that.
“I’m never really sure what to call Sarah Huckabee Sanders. Is it Sarah Sanders, is it Sarah Huckabee Sanders, is it Cousin Huckabee, is it Aunt Huckabee Sanders? What’s Uncle Tom but for White women who disappoint other White women?”
It’s strange to hear a White person call another White person an Uncle Tom. The term comes from a fictional slave in the novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin, written by abolitionist Harriet Beecher Stowe in 1852. Over the years, the character became synonymous with subservient African Americans who sells out their people to curry favor with Whites.
U.S Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas has been given that title by lots of Black folks, including Democratic Rep. Bennie Thompson of Mississippi. Critics point to a list of offenses, such as Thomas’ steadfast opposition to affirmative action while on the bench and his failure to aggressively enforce anti-discrimination laws when he was chairman of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Wolf’s appropriation of a Black cultural term to attack Sanders appears accurate. The press secretary has not only defended but also doubled down on her defense of Trump against allegations sexual assault from numerous women, as other powerful men like Bill Cosby and Matt Lauer tumbled in the MeToo Movement.
As Sanders took the punishment, her absentee boss was at a political rally in Michigan, in front of adoring supporters.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
White House Spokeswoman Called ‘Uncle Tom’ At Correspondents’ Dinner was originally published on newsone.com