Prince Performs At The Hollywood Bowl

Source: Jim Steinfeldt / Getty


MINNEAPOLIS — Pills seized inside Prince‘s Paisley Park compound by investigators were labeled as hydrocodone but actually contained fentanyl — the drug that killed the singer — according to a source with knowledge of the investigation who revealed the information to the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

The revelation gives more insight into what may have caused Prince’s overdose. There are two likely possibilities: Either a pharmaceutical manufacturer mislabeled the pills, or the pills were illegally manufactured and obtained illegally.

However, according to the Star Tribune, investigators are working under the theory that the pop star did not know the pills contained fentanyl. Prince died on April 21 from an accidental overdose of fentanyl, according to the Medical Examiner.

Report: Pills in Prince’s home mislabeled, contained fentanyl

Pills in Prince’s home mislabeled, contained fentanyl  was originally published on

Also On 101.1 The Wiz: